Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Que Sera Sera

"When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be"


My littlest boy loves to sing. He even sings to ask questions. He'll say "Mummy, can I have some MILK?!" and the word milk turns into an operatic crescendo. It's pretty damned funny.

He comes by his love of singing honestly. I was the same way at his age. I loved music! I sang all the time, so much so that I was told to stop, many times, by many people. I truly thought (when I was five) I'd grow up to be a famous singer.

Well, come to find out, I have terrible stage fright. The moment I realize someone is listening, my throat tightens up and my voice cracks. It's ridiculous, but it is what it is.

I also loved to read and write when I was a kid. I always had my nose stuck in a book. And as I've mentioned here before, I kept a journal for a few years. I tried my hand at song lyrics, but without playing an instrument, they were mostly poems that would never come to musical expression.

I didn't expect to grow up and become a writer, but it seems that's what I've done. My English teachers would not be surprised, as they all mentioned I should pursue writing.

My muse has been whispering to me for a very long time, and I kept ignoring her and pushing her away. I was too busy raising children. As soon as she found out I had time to myself again, she made herself known and refused to be put off any longer.

I know now what I want to be when I grow up. What did you want to grow up to be?

2 comments:

Beth is wfg said...

The list of what I wanted to be when I grew up is long...very long. Mommy and writer were at the top, usually. I've got Mommy, and I'm working on writer. Not to shabby, I guess.

Anonymous said...

For the longest time, I wanted to be an astrophysicist. I even went to university to study that, but it didn't last. I also thought about being an engineer - either robotics or aerospace. Yep, I'm a geek. :D But I'm a terrible student, so I fell into accounting instead, which was much easier...

In the back of my head was the idea of being a writer, but I never thought I was good enough.