Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Now, where did I put that... ?

I've been reading a lot of blog posts, Tweets and Plurks about getting organized. It is that time of year when people resolve to be better about keeping track of their stuff and where they put it.

There are many options for writers to keep backups of their writing. The one thing I always try to do is keep an actual hard copy of anything I write (well, anything I sink a lot of time into, anyway). I print it out and put it in a plastic sleeve, and then put it in a 2 inch binder. I haven't written enough pieces for this to be a space issue just yet.

As for virtual storage and organization, this is what I do...

  • I keep one copy on my desktop computer, as that's where I do most of my writing.
  • I have a designated SD card for my writing and I keep copies there as well. Jump Sticks work just as well.
  • I also upload my files to Google Documents, so that I can access them from anywhere I can acquire an internet connection.

There are online backup sites, such as www.4shared.com or www.mozy.com. Some are free, some are not.

If anyone has other ideas/ways they stay organized, please chime in. Now, where did I put that... ?

No comments: