Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Where I get my ideas

I was reading another writer's blog today about the writing process. Every writer's way is unique. It made me think about the step before the writing, the seed of an idea. I thought I'd talk about where I find my ideas.

I read - a lot. It doesn't really matter what genre, I read what grabs me. Fiction, nonfiction, horror, historical romance, consumer magazine, trade journal - I'm constantly reading.

When I read magazines and newspapers, I keep a notebook and pencil close by. Other freelancer's work seems to prompt new ideas for me.

I've become rather fanatical lately about writing down ideas, as they happen. There have been so many times when I've thought "Wow! That'd be a great thing to write about." only to be distracted and lose the idea.

I listen closely when I'm out with friends or neighbors. I never know when someone is going to tell a great story, or share a fantastic idea, or knows someone who is an expert in their career field.

As I think I've mentioned before, I'm perpetually curious. For me, it's all about observation and making notes.

Where do you find your ideas?

No comments: