Thursday, June 19, 2008

Book Review - Unafraid: A Novel of the Possible






















Unafraid: A Novel of the Possible
Jeff Golden
AuthorHouse
ISBN # 978-0595471928

"What if John F. Kennedy had survived his wounds in Dallas and gone on to serve two full terms in the White House? What if the aftermath — astronomical public approval ratings, a presidential agenda that sails effortlessly through Congress, a parade of the world’s most beautiful women through the White House at his whim — moved him to wonder “Is this all there is?” What if he decided to see if America’s walk could match its talk?"

Jeff Golden has written an historical fiction novel that reads like a fantastical memoir. Unafraid paints the picture of a country forever changed by the near death of its president, and the accomplishments he achieves during his eight years in office.

Written from the perspective of Caroline Kennedy reading the first draft of the must read biography about John F. Kennedy, you'll find yourself caught up in the hope of a life lived to fulfillment. I would find myself having to shake off the world I was reading about, and momentarily shocked at the way America really is today.

Color me an idealist, but I enjoyed reading about a world where the President had integrity and advisors who were smart and reasoned. I loved this book, because it provided one vision and answer to a question asked by millions of Americans.

My mother was 19 years old and a senior in high school when Kennedy was assassinated. She has related the story of that day to me. Kennedy's death was the end of many dreams of a better America for many people. None of us can know what the world would have been like had that bullet been off by a few inches, but Jeff Golden has shown us what Camelot could have been.

I want to believe in hope, and strength, and courage in the face of danger and adversity. I want to believe that the world is a safe place for my children. Unafraid let me pretend for a little while.

(February 27, 2008, pp 355, $18.95)

No comments: