Tuesday, September 11, 2007

There just are no words...

I thought about writing a deep, profound post as to where I was and what I was doing 6 years ago today. But you know, it's all been said. My circumstances may have been different than everybody else's in those horrific moments that morning, but I know I felt what every other person in the world felt - terror, disillusionment, frustration - a multitude of overwhelming emotions.

My husband and I had coffee with friends a week later, and we stated up front there was to be no discussion about Tuesday, September 11th, 2001. We talked about jobs, kids and cooking, but it was real work to keep the pervading sense of evil at bay.

I'm not the same person I was that day. Explaining to my children that a "bully" decided to raise its ugly fist and attack our country changed me. Discovering years later that the entire event could have been avoided had our government really paid attention changed me. Knowing that my daughter could very well have been on one of those planes changed me. The eerie silence in the skies for weeks on end changed me.

The lesson I am left with today is no different than anyone else's. Live your life, love your family and die with as few regrets as possible.

No comments: