Monday, October 22, 2007

Brave New World

It was a busy weekend here, but I did manage to read. I feel like an ignoramus admitting this, but I had never read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. My daughter was reading it, and mentioned it to me. When she was finished with it, I devoured it.

For those of you who may not have read it, Brave New World is about a futuristic society where people are produced with a preconceived notion of what their position in the world will be. There is no God, no mothers or fathers, as people are conceived and developed in "bottles" and raised to adulthood by caretakers, not parents. Free thinking has been abandoned, and "everyone belongs to everyone".

The book was published in 1932. As I read it, I was amazed at Huxley's creativity. The story is something I would have expected from a 1970's author.

Today, I will be reading a new book for review. Look for it next Monday.

No comments: