Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Don't limit yourself

The first article I wrote for publication in a magazine was about bumble bees - specifically raising them for fun and profit. You can see it in Bee Culture this month.

Now, I should probably tell you that I am NOT a fan of any insect that buzzes and has the ability to sting. I know wasps, and hornets, and bees have a very important job, and without them, I'd be missing fresh fruits and vegetables. I just tend to give them a wide berth.

As it happens, I knew someone who knew someone who'd written a book about bumble bees, so I sent the editor of Bee Culture a query letter about reviewing the book. That query resolved itself into the aforementioned article.

The point of sharing this with you is to point out that there are countless, boundless freelance writing opportunities out there. And yes, writing what you know is good, but stretching a little and learning about something entirely new is exciting and may land you a gig you never would have expected.

No comments: