Tuesday, October 30, 2007

55 Days 'til Christmas...

My husband and I have been discussing the Holidays. And that got me to thinking, books are a fantastic gift. Which then had me pondering what books would I get for my kids if they weren't already avid readers?

I made a list of the books I loved when I was a kid, and I thought I'd share it here.

In no particular order...




The Great Brain - a series of 8 books by John D. Fitzgerald.

My fifth grade teacher read aloud to us from this series of books. As soon as she started reading, everyone in the room paid attention.












Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery and Jennifer Lee Carroll - there are 8 in this series, as well.











Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 9 books in the series.











The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis - a series of 7 books.











The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper - 5 book series.







Other books you might want to consider...
Junie B. Jones
Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys
Goosebumps
The Babysitter's Club
Lemony Snicket


There's some terrific new YA fiction out now and coming soon. Keep your eyes open. If you're not sure what your kids, grandkids, nieces and/or nephews or your friends' kids would like to read, buy them a gift card to Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. Check out the book club fliers that come home from school. You can find some amazing deals on books through Scholastic. I know there's another company that sells through school book clubs, but I can't think of it just now.

Let's raise some readers.

1 comment:

Cate Gardner said...

Anne of Green Gables - I totally adored that and had a crush on Gilbert Blythe... I've got lots of picture books squirreled away for my niece for Christmas.