Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Interview - Christine Norris, author of The Crown of Zeus

















Today's 5 Q&A is with Christine Norris, author of The Crown of Zeus

1.) Who are you?
I'm a substitute teacher looking for a permanent teaching job who writes because she loves it, living in New Jersey. I also love reading and making crafts and movies and Ugly Betty.

2.) Have you always had an interest in Greek mythology?
Pretty much. Not just Greek mythology, but all mythology appeals to me. My next book relies on the mythology of Ancient Egypt, and I've been researching ancient China lately for the third book in the series. I love to see how the mythology is woven throughout the culture that supports it.

It's not just mythology, but folktales too - I'm a huge fairy tale fan.

3.) How did the idea come to you to incorporate magic, adventure and mythology for young adults?
I love fantasy, and I wanted to do something different. I'd written two 'high-fantasy' books already - plenty of wizards, dragons and fairies - and I was looking for something outside the usual 'stuff' that's in the bookstores now. I started with the idea of the big manor and the secret library, and the rest sort of fell into place. I'm not an outliner, I let the story come to me. But once I started, I couldn't stop. I have ideas for the rest of the series, and I can honestly say I know how the last book will end. I don't know everything, but I do know that.

4.) Have you received any feedback from kids who have read your book?
Not yet, mostly because e-books are still sort of new, and I don't know that many kids read them. I like e-books, almost as much as paper, and I think kids, who are always into the techno stuff, would like them too.

But I know at least one YA reviewer has a copy and I'm waiting to hear what she thinks. All the adults who've read it have liked it, which really makes me think I've hit the mark. My first two books were well received by kids, though, so I'm hoping this one is as well.

5.) What's next?
The Ankh of Isis. Tentatively scheduled to be released in e-book by Samhain in July. It's the second in the series. I'm working on the third as we speak.

The Crown of Zeus will be out in trade paperback on Dec. 29, 2008.


Thanks so much, Christine!

No comments: