Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Interview - Owen King, author of We're All In This Together: A Novella and Stories





Today's 5 Q&A is with Owen King, author of We're All In This Together: A Novella and Stories.






1.) Who are you?

I'm a graduate of Vassar College and I hold an MFA from Columbia University, but above all I'm a proud product of the Maine public school system! In 2005 I published my first book, WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, a novella and short stories. I live in New York.

2.) Is writing a compulsion or a choice for you?

This is a tough question. I guess writing is a compulsion for me in the sense that because I've never been particularly good at anything else, I feel compelled to do the one thing that I'm reasonably capable at in order to justify my place in the universe. By the opposite token, every time I write I have to make a conscious decision to sit down and really dig into it. That's not always easy.

3.) Do you feel that - like any other talent (singing, acting, dancing, painting) - the ability to write and/or tell stories is genetically passed down through generations?

Genetics is completely beyond my purview, I'm afraid! I can say that I believe that stories are necessary for every generation, to try and make sense of the way we live, and to entertain, and to pass the time.

4.) How do you like to spend your spare time?

I read a lot, and when it's baseball season most of my spare time is dedicated to following the Red Sox. Ooops. I mean, THE WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX!

5.) What's next?

I'm co-editing (with the novelist, John McNally) an anthology called, WHO CAN SAVE US NOW? It's a collection of stories about brand new superheroes by literary writers and it's due from the Free Press in the summer.


Thank you so much, Owen!







To learn more about Owen King, and his book, please visit his website at www.owen-king.com.

No comments: