Thursday, February 7, 2008

A funny thing happened on the way to freedom...

For the last couple of years, I've been waiting for my youngest to start Kindergarten. I just knew that once he was safely (locked away) in a classroom for 6+ hours a day, I would be well on the way to the rest of my life.

Well, a funny thing happened. I actually do some of my best work when the kids are home. I'm so used to the dull roar and sporadic chaos that ensues when they're here, that silence is literally deafening and stifling.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the peace and serenity of my week days alone. I spend my days looking for leads, networking and marketing. Daytime is for learning, evening is for writing.

But, it is incredibly weird to discover I need my kids around when I write.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't have kids, but I have the same problem with the cats and hubby. They'll drive me crazy, I think I can't work, then I go to the library where it's so quiet, clicking the mouse button feels like shouting. Then I can't work at all, because there's nothing driving me crazy!

Unknown said...

I know how you feel! I have a kindergartner too, and I always think, "Tomorrow, when he's in school, I can get this, this, and this done.... and then I find myself actually doing it when he's running around the house like a lunatic with the tv blasting and the playstation making crazy noises.