Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Interview - Judy Ford and Rachel Green Baldino, authors of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Enhancing Sexual Desire















Today's 5 Q&A is with Judy Ford, MSW, LCSW and Rachel Greene Baldino, MSW, LCSW - authors of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Enhancing Sexual Desire

1.) Who are you?

J.F. - I’ve been in private practice as family therapist for over twenty-five years. Before that I worked with couples and families in various settings—from gang turf in the inner city to crisis intervention in hospitals, to community mental health clinics. I’m the author of 10 books including Wonderful Ways to Love a Child, which, by the way, lead to my appearance on Oprah! That was exciting.

Recently I’ve discovered my artistic side. I adore painting, cutting, and pasting and can testify to the fact that by developing our creative inspirations we fall more in touch with our sensuous side and that’s definitely good for romance.

I am the mother of a twenty-nine year old daughter, Amanda Ford who is also a writer.


R.G.B. - Right now I am a freelance writer and stay-at-home mother of two young children. I also have a professional background as a clinical social worker. Before writing this book, I was a relationship columnist for the online health and wellness newsletter SixWise.com, and I have also written two other books.

2.) What prompted the idea for this book?

J.F. - I’ve been studying relationships for over 30 years, I counseled thousands of couples and dedicated my professional work to family healing and wholeness. When I was approached to contribute to this book, I was delighted to participate as the focus of the book was in sync with my philosophy of taking good and gentle care of your relationship.

R.G.B. - What prompted the idea for The Complete Idiot’s Guide To Enhancing Sexual Desire was an invitation from our literary agent, Andrea Hurst, to submit a proposal on the book’s topic to the appropriate editor.

3.) How did you decide to co-write it?

J.F. - A literary agent suggested that we work together. It was a good match and even though we never met in person the writing process went smoothly.

R.G.B. - Regarding the co-writing of the book, once again, our literary agent Andrea Hurst introduced us. We hit it off really well, and decided that we would be a great co-authoring team.

4.) What's your favorite romantic night with your significant other like?

J.F. - I am widowed and currently not in a committed relationship, but that does not mean that there is no romance in my life. On the contrary, February is the love month and I adore celebrating love. At this stage in my life, romance is better than ever. Romance for me must include a playful attitude, a twinkle in the eye and a spring in the step. I intend have many romantic evenings this month and that will include hand holding with a man who thinks I’m funny. That’s a turn on. I think he’s smart and handsome and that’s a turn on for him. We “get” each other and that makes almost any evening together fun and romantic. Before the evening is over we will probably go for a long walk, hug, eat dinner, laugh a lot and find out where the energy takes us.

R.G.B. - Regarding my idea of a really romantic night: Because of the stage of life that my husband and I are in right now (as the parents of a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old), one of our favorite types of romantic nights is when the grandparents take care of the kids and we get to go out to eat in a nice, quiet restaurant (quiet being the operative word here). Our day-to-day lives with our kids are very joyful, hectic and action-packed, and the overall decibel level is also quite high! So, these days, for us, being in a quiet restaurant, where the pace is leisurely, the music is soft, and the lights are low and romantic (and all the people around us are also speaking softly), is utter paradise! We can actually have a wonderful (and uninterrupted!) conversation about anything and everything under the sun! We have always enjoyed talking and laughing together, ever since the day we first met back in January of 1988. In fact, I have always thought that great conversation is one of the best aphrodisiacs around, one of the best ways for close, loving, committed couples to feel even closer and to “get in the mood” for romance.


5.) What's next?

J.F. - Rachel and I have ideas for another project and I am working on two more books.

R.G.B. - Switching gears, the project I am working on right now has to do with my ongoing interest in social work-related issues. With the same agent and editorial team, and also with the staff of the National Foster Parent Association (NFPA), I am working on a guide book for people who are thinking seriously about becoming foster parents. And, as Judy mentioned, she and I are making plans to collaborate on another project, and I am very excited about that!

Thank you so much, ladies!

1 comment:

Grateful Mom said...

Thank you so much for the interview! Judy and I are very grateful!

- Rachel