Thursday, April 17, 2008

Outrageous Brownies Recipe














Outrageous Brownies

1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.


When I make these, I use salted butter and leave out the kosher salt. I serve French Vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate sauce alongside the brownies. This is definitely a special occasion dessert.

2 comments:

rosemerry said...

Is it okay if I post this recipe on my blog. I'll of course include a link back to this post and full credit plus a link on my blog to your blog.

If you do that would be great if not that is fine as well. Thanks

rosemerry from AW

VirtualWordsmith said...

It's fine with me, rosemerry, but I linked the recipe back to the Food Network, which is where I originally found it. By the way, the brownies are almost cooled. :D