Monday, April 21, 2008

Special guest review of The Fiction Class by Susan Breen

I first learned of Susan Breen’s The Fiction Class as a subscriber to the Virtual Wordsmith blog. I have always wanted to be a teacher. I also want to be a writer, an English major, and a fire truck (ok, not really a fire truck). So the idea of getting a behind-the-scenes look of an adult fiction class by reading a well-written novel piqued my curiosity.

Arabella, as “the teacher”, Breen’s main character, appealed to me the most. I felt like one of her students, and found myself absorbing writing practices, participating in class discussions and completing assignments while I read. I also enjoyed the students in the class, and wanted to know more about them, specifically, I wanted to know what they wrote for the assignments.

Arabella, as “the daughter”and the relationship with her parent’s individually, appealed to me the least. As the wife of a man with a chronic illness (Hepatitis C), I have enough sickness in my real life - I don’t like it eating up the little time I have to read. Also, the thought of someone always wearing gray is too pitiful and self centered for me. I almost stopped reading about half way through.

Vera, Arabella’s mother, is what kept me reading. The things she said would make me laugh out loud. Like me, she was the caregiver to the person she loved more than life itself, which made us instant comrades. I wish I could visit her on one of the other 6 days of the week. I would love to have her as a friend. I also had to find out about The Miracle.

I finished the book with mixed emotions. The final mother-daughter connections were touching. Vera’s interpretation of The Miracle made me extremely sad for her. Arabella’s relationship with Chuck was predictable, if not unnecessary. Would I read it again? Sure. Will I read it again? Probably. It will be interesting to see what Breen has for us next.
- Lori Schneider

For more information about The Fiction Class and Susan Breen, please stop by Blog Stop Book Tours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know you're up next in the blog chain!