Monday, July 16, 2007

Be good to yourself...

When my husband comes down with whatever nasty bug the kids bring home from school, he gets a paid sick day. If I come down with it, I lose time and money. Every entrepreneur knows that time is money.

I have tried to teach my kids to cough or sneeze into their sleeve, and to wash their hands every time they use the bathroom, but somehow they still manage to get sick. With four kids in the house, if one of them is ill, they will all be ill over the span of two weeks.

So, to keep myself healthy, I have come up with a few guidelines. An ounce of prevention and all that.

I try to get at least six hours of unbroken sleep a night – eight is even better. In bed by 10 p.m., up at 6 a.m. Scientific evidence shows that consistent sleep patterns help maintain health and productivity.

I do not have a gym membership, but with four kids to chase, who needs one, right? Seriously, 30 minutes of heart rate raising exercise six times a week is a good start. It does not matter how you do it, just do it!

Cut back on the caffeine and sugar – both will bring your energy level up, but only temporarily. The crash will make you want to crawl into bed and sleep for a week. Everything in moderation sound familiar?

Eat a well balanced diet (that means raw or steamed veggies, too). I could make a list of things that are really, really good for you, but that’s what nutritionists are for – if you need help, consult one.

Drink water. A hydrated brain is a highly functioning brain.

Wash your hands – a lot!

When you do get sick, be good to yourself. Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. And if you happen to know someone who makes fantastic homemade chicken soup, ask for some.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so bad at drinking enough water. It's something I need to work on and when I do drink enough I notice how much better I focus and feel in general. That should be enough motivation for me right there.