Sunday, July 15, 2007

Freelance writer office tools.



About a year ago, my all-in-one printer died. This may not seem like a big deal, but it frustrated me to no end. I replaced it as soon as I could. It prompted me to think of the things I need to make my office - and my life - run smoothly as a work-at-home mom writer.

Leaving out the obvious things (like paper, pens and pencils) there are a few items that make life so much easier for me.

For the work-at-home mom convenience items:

  • Crock pot - I can start dinner at 8 a.m. and not have to think about it all day. Of course, I become terribly hungry when the aroma of Guinness Pot Roast begins wafting through the house.

  • Electric Roaster - Same effect as the Crock pot, but cooks larger items like turkey or ham.

  • 12 Cup Coffee Maker - I bet you can guess why.

  • DVD Player - When the work just has to be done by deadline, a new movie the littlest one hasn't seen before allows for at least an hour and a half of quiet. (I am NOT advocating TV as a babysitter.)

For the work-at-home writer:

  • All-in-One Printer - Fax/Scanner/Copier/Printer

  • Electric Pencil Sharpener

  • Three Hole Paper Punch

  • Tape Dispenser

  • Cordless Phone

  • Headset - Preferably one for the phone and one for the computer

  • Unlimited Long Distance Calling

  • Voicemail

  • Broadband Internet Connection

  • Microsoft Office Software

  • Day planner/Scheduler

The one thing I don't ever want to go without again is The Pharos Traveler 525e. Yes, it's spendy. Yes, it's probably trendy, too. I don't care, because it comes with Windows Media Player, Microsoft Pocket Excel, Microsoft Pocket Outlook, Microsoft Pocket Word, Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer - all the programs a writer could ever need. And I can connect to the Internet anywhere there is an unsecured wireless connection. It's also a great way for me to keep notes in one place. My scraps of paper have a way of disappearing. I call it my "office in my purse".

No comments: