Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A long and winding road...

Well, it was long, anyway. I spent the morning driving from my place southwest of Minneapolis to within a stone's throw of Iowa. In trying to avoid rush hour traffic, back roads were driven. Said back roads added almost an hour to the drive. In the interest of saving time, a major highway was utilized during the return trip. We left at 9 am and arrived back just before 2 pm.

The reason I mention this little jaunt at all is I don't enjoy driving. Part of the reason I work from home is to avoid any rush hour at any cost. And with gas prices at $3.15 a gallon and rising daily, I plain can't afford any kind of commute. I had a damned good reason for heading toward Iowa and I would certainly do it again, if need be, but not soon.

This particular road trip pointed out to me, very clearly, that I love living in a small town. Everything I could possibly need is within a 15 mile radius of my home. Traffic is usually light, especially if errands are run midweek, midday or on Sunday morning, whilst other shoppers are at church.

To sum it all up (so that this post remains relevant to this blog's topic), I like being a freelancer who works from home.

  • No rush hour
  • No gas-sucking, hair-graying, nail-biting commute
  • Flexibility to run errands when not having to deal with the above
  • And I can work in my jammies if I want to

No comments: